, , , ,

Yesterday was my first day of work and it was a total whirlwind. I was scheduled to meet up with the Director of Language Programs and the two Professors I will be working with at around 11:15. The plan was to take the high speed train to Segovia. If you remember from my previous post, my last trip to Segovia was by Sepulveda. Since the train was new for me, I made sure to leave with plenty of time. Good thing I did!

I followed Google Maps on my phone and took the metro to the stop it told me to. Turns out, I was spit out into the Chamartin barrio rather than the Chamartin train station. It took me a while of wandering around to figure out what had happened. When I finally realized I would probably not make it, I texted my boss to let her know about the mishap and tell her I’d catch the next train out. Her response? The next train wasn’t until 3:15… And would cost more. So, was there any chance I could bolt and make the 11:30 train time?

At this point I started to freak out a bit more, and frantically hailed a taxi. All luck on my side, I made it there in time and hopped on the train moments before it started its trek.

Once on, I met the two professors I’ll be working with this year. All three of my companions are American expats, which is pretty interesting. They are all great people from what I can tell so far, and they get as frazzled as professors as my coworkers and I did as teachers the past two years! I’m not sure how I feel about that… The train brought us to Segovia quickly, but from the station in Segovia we had to take another bus to get into the city center.

Segovia was as beautiful as ever, and I got my first glimpse of the University. I’ll take pictures another day to share with you all. I don’t think I saw much of the University because my virtual tour of the campus online was much more extensive than what I saw yesterday.

It was a pretty crazy day with lots of testing. Right now, incoming students are taking various language classes to determine their placement levels. While the professors proctored, I began grading some of the tests. It was a long day, and the tests I was grading included essays. The topics? Gun control and abortion. As you’d imagine, it was quite an enjoyable experience….. 🙂

We each grabbed a stack of tests to take home and grade, and thankfully I finished mine earlier today. Boy, I do not miss grading essays!

On our way home, we all nearly missed the 6:30 train back to Madrid. Basically, the train is not my friend. Once my schedule is figured out, I think I will stick to the Sepulveda to get to and from Segovia. It runs much more frequently and seems to be less of a hassle for someone like me!

Now, I’m back to basically hanging out for a while until the two professors get their schedules figured out. Once they’ve done that they can figure out when/where they need me. I will probably start working consistently closer to the end of September.

In the meantime I will be hitting the gym, exploring Spain and spending time with friends. Sounds like a sweet deal to me.